Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Adversity

Okay, so on my way home from work today, I was involved in a fender bender.  Not just involved but cited for the accident (following too closely).  It was a chain reaction...I hit the young man in front of me and he in turn hit the car in front of him.  Nobody hurt (Thank God) but now on top of a very frustrating day at work, I have this.  OOOOOKAY...now how am I going to handle this? 

Now I truly believe that God puts events/people/"stuff" in your life for reasons so what was he showing me now, because I knew this was not a random lesson.......

Let's see...by the time I got home, I had decided that I was not going to gorge my way through this unfortunate event.   The most damage (and there really was no damaging eating) was a pre-packaged Nabisco 100 Calorie Mister Salty Yogurt Pretzels and a glass of white wine.  Thankfully, dinner was already in the crock pot and I only needed to cook some noodles and fix a salad.  While waiting, I kept my hands busy on the computer, putting up laundry, taking care of animals, doing dishes, etc. 

I am a reactionary eater.  I eat to handle stress, fear, pain, joy, happiness, etc. but this time I conscientiously made the decision to handle things differently. This was huge for me..."Look at me, I can handle stressful situations in positive proactive ways!"

On a side note, the father of the young man I hit happens to be a contractor and I was able to give his mother my electrician husband's business card.  In fact, the young man's mother was enthusiastic in taking the card.  Then, in further conversation, I found out the other driver involved is a Weight Watcher leader and handed me her insurance info on a wonderful WW soup recipe printout.  We three women then had a decent discussion on weight loss.

Life is good (although I'm still going to have a good cry) and since I don't believe in coincidences, I am amazed how God worked this whole thing out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Laura! I'm so glad no one was hurt! I'm sure there is a very hidden lesson in today's events-maybe just to take a slow deep breath! Congrats on better eating!-

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I so glad no one was hurt. I know that was really stressful, so a HUGE BRAVO to you on how you responded to everything!

    ReplyDelete