Sunday, January 30, 2011

It only takes a minute

Yesterday, I had the heart wrenching job of having my oldest dog put to sleep.  He was very ill and it was time but neither reality made it any easier.  The reason I am passing on this personal news is to discuss how I handled the situation...with food. 

Stuffing my emotions with food (my usual pattern) hasn't worked for the last 45 years so I've been trying to change this behaviour...and I have been moderately successful.  But yesterday, it only took a minute for all the bad habits to come back.  Last night, I devoured an entire package (minus 5) of double stuffed Oreos.  Luckily, I threw the remaining 5 out once I started really feeling ill because I was looking for them this morning.  Today, I had ice cream for breakfast and a handful of butter cookies for lunch (my husband is out of town so technically, I don't have to cook if I don't want to). 

Well, now that all this damage is done, I will climb back on the proverbial horse and start relearning better habits again.  Just remember, it takes a while (3 months, I think) to learn a habit but it only takes a minute to demolish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment