Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Big Freeze

Okay, here it is, Day 2 of the 1st BIG FREEZE for 2011.  It is the...2nd day I have been unable to get out of my driveway...2nd day I have been unable to get to work...2nd day I have been unable to destress by giving my dogs a good walk.

My one dog loves the snow.  He could run in it forever it seems.  It's not only good exercise for me, it is a pleasure to watch his pure joy in running around in the white stuff.  This time, though, ice formed very quickly on top of the snow and he was having none of it.  He reminded me a lot of Bambi when Bambi hit the ice and all legs went askew.  Potty breaks now consist of stepping off the porch and back in. 

Well, stuck inside, trying not to eat everything in sight (with a million things I can constructively be doing but not wanting to do any of them), I decided I could take no more.  At 8:00 a.m. this morning, I took the dogs out for their potty time, brought them back in and went back out with my husband's stopwatch (I wanted to know how long I hiked around).  I hiked all over our two and half acres.  I followed deer tracks, I followed coyote tracks, I followed my own tracks.  Up the hill, down the hill.  Each step, I crunched through ice and at least 4" snow. 

When done (12 min and 41 sec later), I felt better for having done something, having moved around, having stopped the creeping crazies.  I then had a cup of coffee and began, again, to try to keep myself busy until the next time I just had to get out of the house.  At least at this point, I'm not mindlessly eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment